Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Wednesday's Child ~ Open Letters


I am starting a new series today, Wednesday's Child ~ Open Letters. This will be a series of letters addressed to each of my birth siblings. I am asking my wonderful genea-community to please share these posts, especially if you are in South Carolina where I believe most of my birth siblings live. #cartersiblings2016

Dear Richard,

My name is Dawn and I am your half sister. I was born in Florida in 1962 and my birth mother's name was Barbara Williamson at the time I was born. I found Barbara in 2011 and she died in 2014. She didn't have a lot to say about our father Harry, other than to tell me his name, where he was born (Charleston, SC). According to Barbara, she and our father went their separate ways before she knew she was pregnant with me. I am pretty sure that Harry didn't know about me.

I have always known I was adopted. When I turned 18, I wrote to the governing authority for adoptions in Florida and requested my non-identifying information. I learned that our father's name was Harry and that I had at least five older siblings through him. I was also told that Harry was a former merchant marine.

I am sure finding out about me at this stage in your life is a big surprise! It is not my intention to disrupt anyone's life or their family. I am not looking for money, or anything of that nature. All I want is to have a chance simply to get to know you and my other siblings. I will understand if you do not want to do this but I do hope that you will consider the possibilities. I would really appreciate a family medical history and possibly copies of family pictures.

I have always been curious about biological families and it no wonder than genealogy is very big part of my life. I am curious to know if I look like any of you or someone else in our shared families. 

You can reach me by email at find.my.birthsiblings.2016@gmail.com. You can also leave a message in the comments of this blog, The Other Side of Scarlet or fill out the contact form on the left hand side of the page. I am on Facebook, Dawn Williams-Kogutkiewicz and you can send me a personal message there as well

I am hoping I will hear from you soon!

Your sister,

Dawn


A picture of me at about six months old. personal collection

No comments:

Post a Comment