Monday, June 13, 2016

I Found My Birth Father's Funeral Notice!


I was in Charleston last week and decided to do some genealogy during my free time. I have been looking for my birth father's funeral notice for years now with no success. I decided to give the Charleston Public Library a try to see if they may have it and sure enough they did!

The image is not great and is not scanning well so I have decided to transcribe it here instead. The funeral notice was published in The News and Courier (Charleston, SC) on the 24th of March 1984 on page 13.

"Harry R. Carter
Harry R. Carter of [private address], Summerville, a bail bondman and  paralegal, died Friday in a local hospital.
The funeral will be at 4 p.m. today in Stuhr's North Area Chapel. Burial will be in Riverview Memorial Park.
Mr. Carter was born Feb. 27, 1916, in Walterboro, a son of Postell Carter and Josephine Bessinger Carter. He was a Baptist and an Army and merchant marine veteran of World War II.
Surviving are his wife, Anna Lee Hay Carter; four sons, Richard Carter of Charleston, Johnny Carter of Tennessee, David Carter of Columbia and Mike Carter of Charlotte, N.C.; four stepsons, Joseph Amell and Gregory Amell, both of Summerville, Steve Amell of Goose Creek, and Benjamin Amell of Clemson; two daughters, Eugenia Goodman of San Antonio, Texas, and Donna Chaplin of Ravenel; four stepdaughters, Lucy Williams, Carol Lines, Nancy Barnhill, all of Summerville, and Joanne Ulmer of Florence; a sister, Lucille Houser of Orlando, Fla; and 15 grandchildren."

Since my birth father died in 1984, I have my work cut-out for me in trying to find my half siblings especially since all of this information is now 32 years old and I have been searching for 36 years now,  I only hope that I am not too late in my search to find and meet my brothers and sisters.

Source:

"Harry R. Carter", funeral notice, The News and Courier (Charleston, SC), 24 March 1984; online index and image, Newsbank (www.newsbank.com : 8 June 2016); this image and index is through online library subscription only; Charleston County Public Library, 68 Calhoun Street, Charleston, SC 29401.

4 comments:

  1. What a great find! Perseverance rang true. Good luck in your search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find! Perseverance rang true. Good luck in your search.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful! Congrats on finding what you have been searching for!

    ReplyDelete